Welcome to your May Mindful Updates 🙂
I hope you had a nice bank holiday weekend! Thank you for all your replies and testimonials. If you still want to share your story this is the moment. If you want to read what others put please visit https://m.facebook.com/Leeds-
LIST OF ACTIVITIES at LEEDS MOMM 10-4pm
Apart from the main loving-kindness meditation between 12-1pm there will be a range of activities starting from 10am, so please aim to get there for 9.45am. Some of these will be happening from the main stage and some from 2 smaller marquees tents, places in the tents are limited so first come first served 🙂 However, the first 500 people will get free goodie bags 🙂
Activities of the day include: Qi Gong class, Trauma Release Exercise (shaking) demo, Kids Mindfulness session, Dru Yoga session, Yoga & Meditation class, Dance class, Pranayama workshop, Music and Mindfulness for Kids, another Yoga and Meditation class, Family Constellation Therapy talk, Poems readings, Gut-Brain connection talk, Masculine and Feminine aspects of Meditation, Kids Yoga, Gong Bath, Yoga for everyone, Tai Chi and Mindful Music life performances at the start and end of the day.
There will be over 90 MoMMs around the world so let your friends know as there may be one happening near them. The full list on www.mommworld.org And if you can’t be there on Saturday come to the global meditation on Sunday 12th May at The Gorton Monastery in Manchester. I am going 🙂 https://www.themonastery.co.
1) Summer dates for Silent Sunday Retreats are 26th of May, 7th July, 11th of August, all will be 10am – 4pm as usual. Please email me directly if you would like to book a place. Poster attached.
2) My next 8-week Mindfulness courses will be starting in the Autumn. I realised that I need a break to recharge my own batteries after dedicating all my free time to organising MoMM in the last 6 months. One will be on Thursdays 7-9pm, Sept 19th till Nov 7th, and second on Saturdays 10-12am, Sept 21st till Nov 9th Both in Weetwood, see poster for more info and please pass it on to anyone who you think may benefit or be interested.
3) Other courses, drop-ins, workshops and retreats in the area
- This first one a Biodanza workshops with my fried Noel at Dance Studio Leeds, it is a very mindful and joyful way of spending an afternoon. Next dates are: 1st June -Dancing the elements: earth, fire, air and water, and then 29th June – Summer Solstice Celebrations. Both Workshops are 2pm-6pm. Great fun 🙂 For more info please contact Noel Watkins on email@example.com or 07986095528. He has a regular class in Huddersfield.
- I sometimes go to Samatha Meditation drop-ins in Headingly Theravada Buddhist Temple. It’s a very pleasurable form of practicing mindfulness, so may see you there one Monday evening 🙂 The next few dates are: May 13th and 20th, then June 3rd, 10th and 17th. For more information please contact Richard on 07740720372 or firstname.lastname@example.org No experience necessary.
- Tamsin Hartely is offering Giving your body a listening space retreat in Beverly on 15th June 10-4.30pm. For more details and bookings please email her directly on email@example.com or go to www.thelisteningspace.co.uk
- Kerala Ayurveda Centre offering well-being workshops & Ayurvedic treatments in Leeds. The next one 23rd of May, I have been going regularly in the past and absolutely loved it 🙂 For more info please go to https://keralaayurvedacentre.
co.uk/retreat-leeds-2019 and to book visit https://keralaayurvedacentre. co.uk/product/ayurveda- retreat-leeds-thursday-23rd- may-2019
- Day of Mindfulness at Brockholes Nature Reserve near Preston, remaining 2019 dates are: 23rd June and 20th October. Please book directly with Alistair firstname.lastname@example.org
4) Free talks and online summits:
- This one is for everyone. It started 2 days ago but will last till May the 20th and cover everything on the topic of health and personal development. There are 78 experts giving over 100 short lectures. All free. For full program or to register go to: www.youcanhealyourlifesummit.
- Mostly for teachers and those working in big organisations 25 amazing, world-famous speakers sharing their tips on bringing mindfulness and compassion at work. It starts tomorrow and lasts 5 days. To register or for more info: https://mcwsummit.com/
5) Interesting conferences and workshops specifically for doctors and other health care professionals and mental health professionals:
- This one is for GPs and nurses. It is a very technical, but eyes-opening and inspiring talk on links between fats, sugar, salt and cholesterol. My colleague Glyn Wainwright from Low Carb Leeds and The Public Health Collaboration is giving a short lecture to a big medical practice in America https://youtu.be/ZPfOm2LtrI8 There is also a detailed interview video in a longer, but topic based, format here https://lizscript.home.blog/
2019/03/18/fats-sugar-salt- cholesterol-the-video- interview/ In May Glyn is fully booked offering talks to every single surgery in Doncaster, so if you are a GP in Leeds or York and want to book one for your own practice do get in touch with him directly email@example.com He is a fountain of knowledge!
- Looking for a different CPD event, here is one in Manchester in 2 weeks time, the 18th of May https://www.clinicaleducation.
- And here is a link to a Lifestyle Medicine conference 21-22nd June in Cardiff. Im going so maybe see you there 🙂 https://bslm.org.uk/event/
6) And finally here is a handful of interesting articles for you. This time a mixture of mindfulness and health focused:
- Recap on how to meditate in case you would welcome a reminder https://www.mindful.org/how-
- For those who say they have no time to meditate https://www.mindful.org/no-
- On dangers of bottling up emotions at work https://www.mindful.org/
- Really nice article from Melli O’Brien on countering negativity bias https://mrsmindfulness.com/
- How sleep influences your healthhttps://articles.mercola.com/
sites/articles/archive/2019/ 03/30/health-benefits-of- sleep.aspx?
- Best anti-anxiety foods https://articles.
- Rules for coming off antidepressantshttps://www.nytimes.com/2019/
03/05/health/depression- withdrawal-drugs.html? And more on the subject and other info about psychiatric drugs from Dr Breggin https://breggin.com/
As always please share your thoughts or reflections and of course do let me know if you no longer want to receive these updates.
As my new friend says…
With love and omms,